Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Showbiz Woes

So, it's official: Jon & Kate Gosselin, stars of TLC's Jon & Kate Plus 8, are divorcing.

Frankly, I saw it coming. The way their lives and marital issues were portrayed in the media, particularly the tabloids and gossip blogs, can take a toll on anyone's marriage. Although I don't watch the show, I've seen enough to make me think that this divorce is probably the best way to end the couple's suffering. I guess it was difficult for Jon to have a wife that is more strong-willed than he is, and I guess taking care of eight children has also taken a toll on Kate and it has affected her relationship with her husband. Jon did not help things when he was seen with another woman when it's, I think, "improper" for a father of eight to be out, especially when the woman is not his wife. I do not condone divorce, but if it is the best thing that could happen to everyone involved, then so be it. I only hope TLC ends the show too. Sure, the Gosselins have given the network its highest rating ever, but it was at their family's expense. The parents were obviously suffering (in the season premiere, I think), but TLC was so happy that a lot of people tuned in. They are cashing in while the family is breaking up.

Come to think of it: this is not the first reality show that ruined - or contributed, at the very least, to the ruin of - its stars' relationship. Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey's marriage crumbled within its first two years. About the same thing happened to Carmen Electra and Dave Navarro, as well as Shanna Moakler and Travis Barker. Their marriages may have been doomed from the start, but having cameras around them all the time may have made their respective situations worse for them. This has happened to many other reality show "relationships" and, judging from history, Jon & Kate won't be the last either.

It's just one of the many reasons I do not watch a lot of reality shows. HGTV shows do not count as they are fun and helpful, as are select TLC shows (like What Not To Wear). Gene Simmons Family Jewels is my guilty pleasure, though; I enjoy this show because they are all freaking hilarious. Gene Simmons may be arrogant and may have a God-complex, but he's funny. I also enjoy The Amazing Race, because I like the travelling part of the show. I especially like it when my favourites win at the end (hehe).

In other showbiz news, Perez Hilton claims that Black Eyed Peas' manager, a man named Liborio Molina, assaulted him after this year's MuchMusic Video Awards. Apparently, Perez started the fight when he called will.i.am a derogatory term when the latter confronted the former about the blogger's posts about Fergie. He then claimed that will.i.am hit him. Then his story changed and the manager was revealed to be the one who hit him.

I find two curious things about this event. One, why didn't Perez go directly to the police? Rather, he posted his allegations on Twitter. He also posted a vlog on his site as an answer to will.i.am's video where the Peas member denied he hit Perez. Sure, his tweets alerted the Toronto police. But I don't see why he had to tweet them, instead of reporting what happened to the police. It doesn't make sense to me. Two, why did he call will.i.am a f****t when Perez himself, as a gay man, should be insulted by the term? Now, even GLAAD is upset with him. As of this writing, Perez has not responded to GLAAD.

A question remains: did Perez Hilton instigate this fight for publicity? Hmm... If I were a betting woman, I'd say yes.

Eh. Whatever. I don't pay much attention to them anyway.

No comments: