Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Sad, Sad Day in Hollywood

First, it was Farrah Fawcett, who died today at age 62 after a long battle with anal cancer. I was not a fan of hers, per se, but I admire her strength and courage to face her illness. It's sad that she passed away before she and her long-time love, Ryan O'Neal, had a chance to get married. She will be missed.

The Essential Michael Jackson album coverImage via Wikipedia


Then, it was Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, who tragically died from cardiac arrest. He was 50. TMZ.com reported that MJ suffered a heart attack in his home and that paramedics were unable to revive him. I cannot say that I was a fan of his, but I grew up listening to his songs. He was an unbelievable performer, and he influenced lots and lots of artists. One of them, JC Chasez, said the following about MJ:

"Words can't begin to describe my sadness for the loss of Michael Jackson. I was honored and humbled to have the opportunity to perform with him several times and he had a profound influence on my career. Michael forever changed the world of music and entertainment and I will always remember him for his kind and sweet spirit."

Michael, you will be missed.

However, word around Twitter that Jeff Goldblum also died today after a fall in New Zealand. Thankfully, it was a hoax, created to drive traffic to the site. For shame!

It really is a sad, sad day in Hollywood. May you both rest in peace, Farrah and Michael.

No comments: