Saturday, June 13, 2009

Funny How I Choose Sometimes

I have a long list of books to read this year. It's primarily because I keep buying novels and other books even if I still haven't finished The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla (Stephen King). So I don't know when I'm going to finish the entire Dark Tower series in order to get to the next book (either Kristin Billerbeck's Back to Life or Bernhard Schlink's The Reader).

Anyway, I picked up Kristin Harmel's How to Sleep with a Movie Star when it was on sale ($2.50, dude) at the Muriel Arnason Library (formerly Willowbrook Library). One time, I grabbed it from my pile of unread books when I needed something to read while I was having dinner. (Yes, I know what people say - that it's bad to read when eating - but it's the only option a single girl has sometimes.) I think that was some weeks after I edited Miss KC's IB essay. Freelance editorial as a moonlight business has not fully formed in my mind then. Fast forward to 1pm today, when I resumed reading it while having a late lunch.

Then, it clicked: the protagonist, Claire, is an entertainment editor at a women's magazine in New York (i.e. mecca of the publishing industry in the US).

Yeah. Heaven-sent.

Maybe after I read the book, I'll know enough about editing that I can breeze through the prerequisite course for the Certificate in Editing in SFU.

Hehe. Just kidding. I still have miles (or shall I say kilometres?) to go before I can say that with real confidence.

And isn't one protagonist in Jennifer Weiner's short story collection The Guy Not Taken also moonlighting as an editor?

Hmmm...

No comments: