Sunday, May 24, 2009

Don't Quit!

I was supposed to memorize the "Don't Quit" poem when I was in CAT (Citizen's Army Training, like ROTC) during Grade 10 (high school senior where I come from). Of course, I never did, but they never found out because I was never required to recite it. 

Anyway, part of this poem was featured on the Pastor's Corner today. I realized I need to keep a copy of this poem somewhere. I need it to remind me that I shall never quit - in looking for my first place, for instance. It might be difficult to find the condo for my specific needs, but I will keep looking. Also, I won't quit when my business does not bring me the profit that I'd hope. I also won't quit when it comes to my pathetic love life and LOST. (Hehehehehehe...)

Here's the full poem, courtesy of TheDon'tQuitPoem.com:

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will, 
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill, 
When the funds are low and the debts are high, 
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh, 
When care is pressing you down a bit, 
Rest, if you must, but don't you quit.

 

Life is queer with its twists and turns, 
As every one of us sometimes learns, 
And many a failure turns about, 
When he might have won had he stuck it out; 
Don't give up though the pace seems slow-- 
You may succeed with another blow.

 

Often the goal is nearer than, 
It seems to a faint and faltering man, 
Often the struggler has given up, 
When he might have captured the victor's cup, 
And he learned too late when the night slipped down, 
How close he was to the golden crown.

 

Success is failure turned inside out-- 
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt, 
And you never can tell how close you are, 
It may be near when it seems so far, 
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit-- 
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.


The website says that the author is unknown, but there's a name at the bottom of the Pastor's Corner sheet: Mr Harry Knowles, Sr (1904 - 1979). Some websites attribute the poem to him. 

Regardless, thanks to whoever wrote the above poem! Your words help us get through difficulties and failures.

No comments: