Sunday, February 15, 2009

Condo Hunt: Madison Villas at Brydon Creek

In the spirit of Valentine's Day - that is, the worst day in the year for me - I am going to start writing about my hunt for my dream condo unit.

The first place I've actually looked at was mentioned to me by the C's. They looked at the building the week before and they liked it. So they suggested that we look at the units on 25 January 2009.

Madison Villas at Brydon Creek
is located at the 5500 block of 198th Street in Langley. It is closer to downtown Langley than I am right now and is about 40 blocks away from my current workplace. The show home was a 1-bedroom + flex, 1-bathroom unit and is approximately 688 square feet. The flex room can be my office, while the master bedroom is big enough for me. The unit has a walk-in closet, wood laminate flooring, stainless steel kitchen appliances, granite kitchen and bathroom countertops, and a deck, among other things. Unfortunately, the unit's living and dining areas are a little cramped for me, especially with several people in the room. The first-floor deck is also a tad too accessible to robbers, murderers, and other evil people. A unit similar to the show home is selling for CDN $199,900 or $290.55 per square foot.

Mrs C suggested two units on the third floor that I might like. The first is a 2-bedroom + flex, 2-bathroom unit and is approximately 1065 square feet. It is, obviously, bigger than the show home, yet it has the same features as the cheaper unit. The flex room could be my office and its distance from the master bedroom will help curb my workaholism. I especially like the walk-in closet and ensuite master bathroom. The deck is big enough for a small party too. However, the dining area is bigger than the living/sitting area. It is selling for $239,900 or $225.26 per square foot.

The second unit is also a 2-bedroom + flex, 2-bathroom unit, but is a little smaller than the other third floor unit, at 1007 square feet. It has the same features as all the other units, and the living area is slightly bigger than the dining area. It is closer to the storage room than the other third floor unit. The unit is selling for $237,900 or $236.25 per square unit.



Any of these units would be great for my first home. I love the walk-in closets, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and wood laminate floorings. I do not recall the monthly strata fee, but I remember it is reasonable for the amenities, such as the electric fireplaces, exercise room, meeting room, and library. There are storage lockers in the individual units, as well as storage rooms in, I believe, all four floors. The building also has a nice facade. I do not have to worry about mowing the lawn or shoveling the snow off the driveway.

My only complaint is that the nearest bus stop is at least 14 minutes away from the building. It is also farther from my current workplace and it will take me 41 minutes to commute to work, as opposed to half an hour.

Also, I do not have the money yet to buy the third unit I looked at. I haven't even been pre-approved yet! I'd also need money to buy a new queen bed and other furniture.

*Sigh* I guess I'd have to keep looking - and get pre-approved. Stay tuned for more condo hunting trips.

No comments: