Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Two-Hour Sleep, Anyone?

I survived it.

I only slept for two hours last night. Two hours.

Well, my insomnia came back with a vengeance during my three-week vacation. But I was asleep by midnight the night before I came back to work.

What happened? Dunno.

Was I depressed? Hmm... Not quite.

Were there things in my mind? Yeah. Work and my outfit for the morning (that is, this morning).

I was tired, very tired. I just couldn't sleep.

I tried breathing evenly as though I were asleep, but it failed. Imagine that? I closed my eyes and tried to clear my mind, but it failed again. I tried listening to folk/jazz, as in Theresa Sokyrka (Kalan Porter's runner-up in Canadian Idol Season 2), but her songs didn't put me to sleep. Maybe I should have listened to Patti LaBelle's Greatest Hits CD?

I finally fell asleep just before three in the morning. As in, 3 AM.

Guess what time I have to wake up?

Five o'clock in the morning.

And what was my day like?

Before I showered, I drank hot chocolate - which should have been coffee. Heck, I'll take black coffee or espresso. The cold shower helped a little bit to keep me awake. In the bus, I tried to keep my brain busy by reading Anna Karenina. At least, that worked. On the SkyTrain, I read - skimmed, actually - the new and improved 24 hours free newspaper. While waiting for the 116 bus, I started the crossword. Pretty normal stuff.

Instead of the normal stuff that I did, I wanted to go back to bed.

Anyway, at work, I keyed five invoices in the system. I also finished the revenue accruals for the Helifor manday billings and for Myra Falls, which I could have billed if I only received all the backups for the manday counts summary for the period ending June 22/07!

But all I wanted to do was sleep.

Well, I managed to last the day without actually falling asleep involuntarily.

I need to make sure this doesn't happen again. Ever again.

No comments: