Thursday, January 31, 2008

LOST's Still Got It

My head is still spinning from LOST's Season Four premiere.

Like, that didn't happen for the first three seasons.

That was a crazy episode. I totally loved the Camaro chase scene. I knew it was gonna be a Hurley-centric episode, but I never imagined it would start with a chase scene featuring the Camaro that bonded Hurley and his dad when he was a kid. Awesome, man, awesome.

It was also nice to see Big Mike, Ana-Lucia's patrol partner.

But why did Hurley say he never met Ana-Lucia? He did! Is that one of the (possibly) many secrets the "Oceanic Six" are keeping from the rest of the world?

Speaking of which, who are the Oceanic Six? Obviously, Jack, Kate, and Hurley were rescued. Who are the other three? I can't assume that only the people who went with Jack were rescued because Hurley went with Locke and still got off the island. So who else? Sayid? Sun? Jin? Claire, with or without Aaron? Rose? Bernard? Juliet? Even Sawyer? Desmond?

And who is Matthew Abbadon? Is he really a lawyer for Oceanic Airlines? And what's up with his question that freaked Hurley out? Did anyone die when the Oceanic Six got off the island?

Anyway, what the heck was that in Jacob's cabin? Who was that in the rocking chair? Christian Shephard?! And whose eye was that?! Locke? Jacob himself? By the way, Hurley finally heard the mysterious Whispers!

The most shocking of all? Our dearly departed Charlie Hieronymus Pace appeared to Hurley, not once, but twice! First, in the convenience store. Second, on the mental hospital (still Santa Rosa Mental Health Institute?) grounds. Three, if you include Hurley's vision/dream (see below). But he's dead! DEAD! How was he able to slap Hurley and still be dead as a doorknob?! The other guy saw Charlie, as well.




By the way, I had hoped Desmond would try his darnedest to get Charlie's corpse out of the communications room of The Looking Glass. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to bring Charlie's body back. Awww...

Anyway, Charlie said while Hurley was counting to five (remember "Pilot Part 1" and "Not in Portland"?), "You know that they need you." They? Who was Charlie referring to? The people who were left behind on the island?

Was Charlie referring to the same "they" that Matthew Abbadon was?

Remember the scene where Big Mike was out of the interrogation room, getting a donut? Hurley's vision/dream mirrored Charlie's final moments in "Through the Looking Glass". But, instead of "Not Penny's Boat," it was "THEY NEED YOU."

Anyway, I almost wept when Claire (and the rest of the survivors) was looking for Charlie as she watched Sun and Jin, and Rose and Bernard reunite. That definitely broke my heart. Then I just about cried when Hurley was telling her that Charlie had died.

Pardon me if I mostly talked about Charlie. I miss him. I really do. I began to miss him a minute after watching the Season Three finale last May.

So. LOST's still got it. Kept me on the edge of my seat. Made me gasp when Naomi lived long enough to talk to Minkowski, when the mysterious eye filled the hole in Jacob's cabin, when Charlie re-appeared (can't help it), when the gun (the magazine) turned out to be empty.

Wow.

Seven days to go before the next episode!

No comments: