Thursday, June 10, 2010

Who's Got A Cure For Insomnia?

As I was writing about the possible correlation between my insomnia and my writer's block on Adrienne's Notebook, I saw some articles on the Zemanta content recommendations sidebar saying that chronic insomnia may shorten one's life.

Say what???

Well, that makes sense, if you consider the health consequences of poor sleep. But a 20-year population-based study claims that chronic insomnia actually increases one's mortality risk by at least 150% (or 2.5 times more).

Um, no, I don't want to die early. I don't mind dying, just dying early.

So, I decided to take action. I downloaded a free app named iRelax Melodies from the iTunes Store. So far, it has helped me sleep faster with the relaxing music it plays (hence, the app name). The sound of ocean waves - as if I were on a deserted Island as one of Jacob's candidates - unsurprisingly puts me to sleep faster than watching The Weather Network or reading books in bed. On early morning Wednesday (1:30ish), I quickly fell asleep and I felt way more rested when I woke up at 5:45 AM than on any other work day. Of course, it's only been two days, so I can't say it has cured my insomnia. But it's one step towards it.

So I guess I should say goodbye to the TV movies on The W Network or to Biography on A & E, eh?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: